I remember being present for most of my younger brother’s birth
and many memories are with me from that August night. I remember my mom having
contractions on the hospital bed and the nurse administering a back rub to her
lower back. When the nurse left the room, my dad was by my mother’s side trying
to pick up where the nurse left off, trying to be nice but my mom didn’t agree.
“Mark! You’re not doing it right! Just… don’t touch me!” I remember laughing to
myself a little bit while feeling bad for my dad at the same time. Poor husbands,
not really knowing what to do but trying to do something to help their wife (at
least in my dad’s case).
I have never really thought about it before but I have come
to know and strongly desire to include my husband in every stage of pregnancy.
Throughout all the doctor appointments, putting his hands on my belly when I
feel the baby moving and describing what it feels like, to pick out the baby
clothes and toys, being in the hospital with me when I am in labor... the
entire, and to help choose the name. When fathers aren’t involved in the
process of pregnancy, it doesn’t seem as real to them as it could. By including
husbands every step of the way, it helps the bond between spouses become even
stronger. The bond with the parents to the baby will be stronger as well, not
just the mother to the baby but the father to the baby as well. I am so grateful that my eyes were opened to
this and I am going to make sure my husband is included in all the details of our
pregnancies.
Hello Kris! Thank you so much for sharing that story it really illustrates that effort that men do make as well as showing how great of a desire they have to be involved. What philosophies in todays world do you think contribute to the idea that a pregnancy just includes the mother and not both spouses?
ReplyDeleteThanks
Maddison Dillon
Thanks for your comment and question Maddison!
ReplyDeleteLook at history, most of the time, the men waited outside of the doctors office or delivery room until the baby was born. Culturally (not just in our culture, but in many), men are not present at the delivery. When I was young, I would go to some of my mothers pregnancy appointment with her and I don't think I ever saw a male in the waiting room with their wife. They were probably out working.